Sunday, January 5, 2014

First Book Review for Amazon

After years of purchasing books - and enjoying them! - from Amazon.com, I finally posted my first book review there.  I expounded on my notes from The Twelve Books of Christmas post below.  In an attempt to sharpen my reviewing skills, I hope to go back and review more of my favorites from last year.   Here's the first book review of many (I hope!).


Imperfect Harmony: Finding Happiness Singing with Others by Stacy Horn (Paperback)

This is an intimate look at what it's like to sing in a chorus. For musicians like me who love playing an instrument and listening to music (just not singing it), this was a real treat. Stacy Horn shares her knowledge and experiences as a member of the Choral Society of Grace Church in New York City. She seamlessly weaves personal and professional stories together in a charming memoir that more than once sent me to the internet to look up a piece of music. I learned so much about the dynamics of choral singing, the arrangement of vocalists - the intricate grouping and pairing of the vocals mesmerized me - and it helps me hear music in a whole new way. Not only did I buy a copy for myself, but I've given this book as a gift to friends and family members who love to sing. Part music memoir and part music lesson, this book will enthrall music lovers of all kinds.



No comments :

Post a Comment