Monday, January 20, 2014

Cathedral of the Wild by Boyd Varty

Boyd Varty’s richly descriptive narrative about life on the South African game reserve where he and his family live is indicative of the rich descriptions of his spiritual journey.  

Unlike most memoirs where the author goes off to another land to find their true home, Varty is already there.  Sometimes, the hardest thing to do is to stay.   Having realized at different times in my life that even though I thought I wanted to leave, what I needed to do was stay.  I could identify with his awakening/realization that "I'm already where I am supposed to be."

His personal and spiritual growth is mirrored by his family’s struggles and growth.  His devotion to his family and how he always writes respectfully of them was refreshing.

This book will appeal to readers on their own spiritual journeys as well as readers of travelogues and South African literature.

(This book was previewed through NetGalley.com.  It will be published March 4, 2014.)

No comments :

Post a Comment