Friday, December 19, 2014

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry


Zevin_Fikry_pbkcvr_rgb_HR 

Charming.  This book is a charmer - it pulls you in and gets a hold of you and keeps you hanging on during the (few) slow parts.  A fast-paced narrative that seems far-fetched at times, hums merrily along and never seems beyond reach. 

The storyline is deceptively simple:  a widower/bookstore owner adopts a baby, finds love in more ways than one and, even though the ending isn't happily ever after, the characters are richer for their experiences together. Isn't that what life's about, anyway?

The last third of the book is the best because there are a lot of unexpected twists and turns that explain some of the earlier sub-plots or behaviors.  Great story, great characters and great writing.  

2 comments :

  1. I brought this one home from the library, but after talking to a couple of people who thought it was boring I took it back. I know as one of the defenders said, "It's about the characters." Maybe another day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't expect to like it and when I started it, I thought some of the descriptions/events seemed implausible. But I held on and really enjoyed it. I haven't been reading much because I'm taking an online course. I miss it!

    ReplyDelete