Saturday, April 19, 2014

Music Books x Three

Wish I could think of a clever way to describe the three music books I am reading for NetGalley.com and Edelweiss.  Each approaches music from a different point of view, but all three are intriguing;  two are scholarly, and one is deeply passionate about the mandolin.   I'm about halfway through The Mandolin Lesson by Frances Taylor.  The classical mandolin calls Taylor's name, pulls her soul into the sound of the eight strings.  I feel that way about the guitar, so I understand that kind of pull.  That said, I'm not sure I would travel the continent of Europe to study with a maestro once a month!  My guitar teachers, exceptional musicians that I remember fondly, were more of the hippie type, not tuxedoes and polished shoes.

The other books, You Are the Music:  How Music Reveals What it Means to Be Human by Victoria Williamson and Capturing Music:  The Story of Notation by Thomas Forest Kelly are more in depth about music, the science of it or the art of notation.  They require more concentration than I can muster right now at the end of a stressful and busy day!

No comments :

Post a Comment